This 1955 D-type Jaguar took first place in the "European Sports Racing, 1946-1974" category at the first-time Desert Classic. Between 1954 and 1957, Jaguar built several versions of their D-type race car, which has a 3.8 liter Inline-6 cylinder engine. Perhaps the most important breakthrough used on these factory-built racers was the first-time use of a monococque chassis, borrowed directly from aircraft technology. After Jaguar left racing for a short period, several of the D-type race cars were modified for street use by adding an extra seat, another door, a full-width windshield and a primitive folding top. These cars were sold as the Jaguar XKSS. A February, 1957 fire at Jag's famed Brown's Lane plant destroyed 9 of 25 XKSS models which were approaching completion for customers. In all, it's thought that 18 factory race cars, 53 customer racers and 16 XKSS street versions were produced in total. Excellent examples of D-type racers and XKSS models can be worth several hundred thousand dollars.